SW Michigan

6:21 am
Mon December 9, 2013

Watervliet works to get rust out of water

Lead in text: 
Work on the new plant is ahead of schedule
WATERVLIET - Rusty water should be a thing of the past by February in Watervliet. That's when the city's $1.25 million iron filtration plant for the water system is expected to be in operation.
7:55 pm
Sun December 8, 2013

A year later "right to work" brings little obvious change to Michigan's economic climate

Lead in text: 
No examples of businesses coming to state because of new law. Unions report few defections
A year after right-to-work laws were approved with the promise of radically changing Michigan's business climate, little has actually changed.
7:40 pm
Sun December 8, 2013

East Lansing police vow charges against those involved in riots

Lead in text: 
Police say there were no injuries reported, but there were multiple arrests late Saturday night
East Lansing Police said Sunday they would pursue charges against anyone involved in violent incidents during celebrations of Michigan State University's first Rose Bowl appearance in a quarter century.
7:32 pm
Sun December 8, 2013

Report finds cuts in state funding driving up college tuition in Michigan

Lead in text: 
State lawmakers have tied funding to factors such as limiting tuition increases
Students at Michigan's universities can blame state politicians for about 60% of the tuition increases they've experienced over the last 13 years, a new report by the nonpartisan House Fiscal Agency finds. The other 40% of the blame goes to universities for increasing their spending, according to the report authored by HFA Deputy Director Kyle Jen.
7:23 pm
Sun December 8, 2013

Battle Creek pushes sustainability

Lead in text: 
City is working toward a goal of using 15% renewable energy for all municipal operations by 2015
Who knew sewage and trash handling could be so innovative? Battle Creek officials made a $5 million commitment earlier this year that was the first of its kind: inventive equipment, made by a local company, would be purchased and operated by the city to treat municipal sewage sludge and transform it into a marketable fuel source.